Thursday, May 3, 2007

Morel Mushrooms and Dandelion Greens

I've tried Morel mushrooms a lot of different ways. They're good scrambled with eggs or added to a casserole or any other way that you can think of. The thing is that they're never as good as when they're cooked by themselves. Everything else that you add just drags them down.

They're like nettles that way, every time I try nettles with anything, I figure it would have tasted better if I'd just cooked the nettles by themselves.

To some people, frying something this delicate (and expensive) is a sacrilege.

I found two morels today, and HB found one. Add the one from yesterday, and we have a perfect little mushroom snack.

Fresh Morel Mushroom
Fresh Morel Mushroom

Day Old Morel Mushroom
Day Old Morel Mushroom

We're having them tonight with a big bunch of dandelion greens that I picked on harvest day. These were dandelions that had already flowered and gone to seed, so I figured they'd be a little bit strong. I boiled them in two changes of water, then I added sautéed onion and garlic to the final boil (not a lot of water), along with a vegetable bouillon cube.

It was pretty good with vinegar. We tried balsamic vinegar and a vinegar flavored with red peppers. I think the sweet vinegar was better, but that's just me.

Soaked and Split Morels Ready for Cooking
Soaked and Split Morels Ready for Cooking

To prepare the mushrooms, I split them and soaked them in salted water for about an hour to drive out the bugs. Then I rinsed and dried them all and wrapped them in paper towels. I put the bundle in a plastic bag (leaving an opening to breathe) in the refrigerator.

Here's my Morel mushroom recipe. Beat 1 egg with about a tablespoon of water and some salt and garlic. Pour a mound of flour onto a plate. Salt and pepper this and stir it up with a fork. Heat some oil in a skillet at medium heat. You want about a quarter inch depth. Dip the clean and dried mushroom halves into the egg wash then into the flour. Fry them until they're golden brown on both sides.

Enjoy it, because you only get these once a year. If you live in an area where you can get a lot of Morel mushrooms, you might like to try to preserve them by drying them. They likely won't end up tasting much like the fresh ones, but it's worth a try if you've just got too many to eat right away (yeah, like that's going to happen).

If you want to try them another way, here's a recipe for Cavatelli Pasta with Morel and Asparagus Cream Sauce. It looks and sounds fantastic, despite my earlier ranting.

4 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

Hi. Found you through technorati. We eat wild foods too.

Very jealous of your morels! Haven't found any yet, though we did get a nice bag of oyster mushrooms! :)

Wild T said...

Thanks Stephanie, some mushrooms are better than none! Have you cooked the oyster mushrooms yet?

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

oyster mushrooms indeed! We love 'em and I can't wait to eat more. These are by far the most we find here ate the 100 acre wood. I have yet to find morels and I have looked everywhere! Oh well you're right some are better than none. We eat everything we can find. Steph has posted a lot of recipes/ adventures while foraging. We are excited to read up on your blog!
Thanks!

Wild T said...

Hi Tim, You know, I almost never get any oyster mushrooms, it's probably been 10 years! I'm glad to find you folks as well. Carry on!