Saturday, April 28, 2007

Harvest Day in the Yard

The wild plants are in peril of being mown down, so I harvested a lot of greens from the yard today. The bowl in the picture is about 16" across, so I got a pretty good amount, don't you think?

The plantain was big and healthy. Still no sign of a flower spike, so it should still be nice and tender.

Plantain, Chickweed and Violet leaves
Plantain, Chickweed and Violet leaves

I separated the plantain leaves from the rest of the harvest. I'm going to cook these by themselves in some new and exciting way. I'll let you know how it goes. There were enough to fill a quart zipper bag.

There was also a good amount of violet leaves. I probably got about a cup.

Most of the dandelions have gone to seed, but there were a few that hadn't flowered yet. I picked about 10 leaves.

I also picked about a gallon of lanky chickweed. There was a lot of plant material but not a lot of leaves. the stems are still tender and crunchy though, so I'll see how they work out in a soup with the violet and the dandelion.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I've only tried chickweed raw and it had a very "green" taste to it. How is it in soup? We have a "bumper crop" of it every year.

BTW, I found your site from Stephanie's post.

Wild T said...

Hi becca,

It was good in the soup! Mine was a little stemmy, there were even seeds in the bottom of the bowl of water I washed them in.

It tasted very mild. Cooking must help with the green taste. Having stems floating around was a little strange though. The taste was good, but the look was a little bit, er, "untraditional".

Thanks for the comment! And thanks to Stephanie!